This Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe is so good. Not only is it easy to make, but the zucchini makes it so moist. For me, baking and cooking is a lot more fun when you can use ingredients that are in season. Right now, zucchini is popping up all over in Iowa and I have received a lot of it from family and friends. It always amazes me to see the size of them. I have gotten some zucchini that were the size of baseball bats!!! (Okay, not really, but they were HUGE.)
My daughter has fallen in love with The Food Network and the baking/cooking challenges they have on there. She is always asking to make different recipes from scratch and when I had all of the zucchini on hand, I told her we could make a chocolate zucchini bread from scratch. She was all about it. This recipe is a great one to have your own eager bakers help you with.
Moist Zucchini Bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- ½ c. applesauce
- 1½ c. flour
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 c. grated and squeezed zucchini
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Peel and shred the zucchini. I had my daughter use a mandolin for this. She loved it.
- Once all the zucchini is shredded, make sure to squeeze all of the water out of it.
- Next, in a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar.
- Add in olive oil and applesauce and mix well.
- Add in cocoa and fold with a spatula.
- Mix flour, salt, vanilla and baking powder in a bowl and add into the egg mixture.
- Stir until smooth, but don’t over-mix it.
- Add the grated zucchini and stir.
- Add chocolate chips and mix. (Again, don't over-mix it.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
My kids loved this. It is a nice break from the regular banana bread we make because I always have over-ripe bananas that I can never just throw out.
Do you grow zucchini in the summer? Do you have a favorite zucchini recipe? Please share it in the comments!
PIN THIS POST!